Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 Recap

  • Best race experience? Definitely the Richmond HCA 8k in November. I ran healthy and fast ... for me. My BF's text was "All I have to say is HOLY #%*#, you rocked it!!!"
  • Best run? Hitting 7 miles for the first time with my running coach and her husband in October. I was great to have her enthusiasm for hitting a new distance.
  • Best new piece of gear? I’m loving this Target top. Sleeves long enough for my arms, thumb holes, a little longer in the back, and a pop of pink-purple.
  • Best piece of running advice you received? Keep running my own pace. I averaged 172 steps per minute across all runs for 2012. A major improvement from 2010 and 2011.
  • Most inspirational runner? I have started following several running bloggers over the last year. I am amazed at their journeys and honesty. I am thankful to have people who are willing to share which helps me with my running and life balance.
  • If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Commitment to the plan.
I had a great running year.

4 5ks (2 virtual), 1 8k, and 1 10k. I also got partially over my fear of the bike. 227 miles completed on the bike. It was some great cross-training over the summer, and added perk was time spent with my husband while biking.

I also made the big plunge into half marathon distance. I know this is no big deal for many of you, but after battling ITB pain for almost 3 years, it is scary to ramp up the mileage. I have been doing it slowly and carefully, but have found my legs like to go a little faster. To compromise, I run once a week with a group that is a little slower than I would normally. I don't mind slowing down if I had good company to chat.

These stats have me thinking of a number for 2013. Should I aim for 1000? The Type A in me says yes, but the doesn't want to be injured part says no. I would like to make sure I include yoga, strength training, and biking. I should also learn to swim, so a triathlon could be a maybe down the road. 800 running miles is the goal.
Looks like it's going to be a great year. A new PR on day 1 (more on that later). And slowly increasing the mileage. I'm aiming to tackle a tough 9 miler this weekend. So excited for this year.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment