Sunday, March 4, 2012

In a fog

Allergies have descended into my sinuses and throat like a thick fog. My voice started going on Friday, so for once I did the wise thing and stayed home. I was able to get quite a few projects done that normally I can't at work due to interruptions. Wish I could have 1-2 days a month working from home, but usually too many meetings for that to work.

Anyway, back to the story. I skipped Saturday's group run because they were calling for morning rain. I didn't feel too bad when I woke, but running in the rain was probably not a good idea. We laid low most of the day including a little family movie time to see The Lorax. Then the excitement started. I am a die-hard Tarheel fan and UNC had their final regular season game at Duke. UNC lost a heartbreaker last month on a last second shot, so they needed redemption last night. They found it with an 18 point win on Duke's Senior Night. And now I am back with a scratchy voice from cheering them on.

I tossed and turned last night with a sore throat and stopped up nose. When we all were up, hubby left for a short trail run. Now what am I going to do? The temps were in the low 40s, so usually perfect running weather, but I opted for the treadmill instead to help keep me away from any more pollen.

I nailed the first mile with my cadence between 178-180. Then I noticed my pace was over 20 minutes per mile. What the heck? My fancy watch thought I was outside instead of on the treadmill. I reset my watch for the last 2.5 miles. I averaged 174 for that distance with only a little glut/ITB awareness.

I'm glad I didn't let my head get the best of me and completely bail on any workout today. I really went into the run thinking I would stop after the first mile if I wasn't feeling it. And that just didn't happen ... stopping that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment