Thursday, March 15, 2012

A great run ... how did that happen?

I am happy to say that I finally had a great run.  I was scheduled for 2.5 and it was too beautiful to be anywhere outside, but 86 is a little much for this time of the year.  I would like to see a little of Spring.

I also went into the run thinking this is all about turnover.  Too often when the cadence alarm goes off on my watch, I try to think through my form and undo something that doesn't feel right.  I am rarely successful in doing this and getting my cadence back up to where it should be.  Yes, I might improve a little bit but not completely.

So, new methodology here on out for this training cycle.  If the cadence alarm goes off, I WILL stop running and walk. Not for long, but enough time to reset what I am doing and get back to closer to 180 SPM.  When I'm at 170-180 SPM, I don't hurt.  I just need to be strong enough to stay at that rate.

So with that focus today, the ONLY time the alarm went off for the entire 2.5 miles was when I stopped at an intersection. And the crazier part of the part, I got faster each split.  And I was trying to go slower.  The only data I have showing on my Garmin is the cadence and pace, and that's because I usually need to go slower.

1st mile - 10:30 avg pace
2nd mile - 10:16
Last 1/2 mile - 10:00

And NO pain.

I'm not even sure what to do with this, other than be super excited for my 5 mile run on Saturday.  And remember that I WILL walk when I need to walk.

Jilly Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment